JEWISH CULTURAL HISTORY
Live Class with Amy Bodkin, EdS
What if we had the opportunity to explore the beauty and rich history of minority cultures?
And what if we had the opportunity to learn from someone who is part of that minority group but is also fluent in the majority culture? That is exactly what this class will offer!
Amy Bodkin is one of the creators of Ani VeAmi (the Jewish Charlotte Mason curriculum), and a Reform Judaism convert. Teaching Assistant Ahavah Manning is an Orthodox Judaism convert.
The goal of this class is NOT to proselytize or to even give a single religious perspective. The goal is rather to introduce families to what is beautiful and valuable about Jewish cultural history.
This class is for all ages. We will cover history, music, art, holidays, the Jewish calendar, superheroes… and so much more!
Whether you are a non-Jewish family looking to expand your knowledge of the beauty to be found in Jewish history or a Jewish family looking to add an outsourced option for a Jewish school, this class is a great fit for all families!
For older students, we will also have discussions at the end of each class for parents and high school students about how they can recognize anti-semitism in their own community because recognizing anti-semitism requires cultural fluency!
There are very few required materials or homework assignments, but each week you will be given a list of optional resources for a variety of ability levels if you would like to go deeper!
You can learn more about Amy Bodkin here.
- Day / Time: Thursdays @ 3:00pm CT
- Registration fee: $75
- Student Age Range: the entire family!
- Semester Access: Fall 2022 Semester: September 6th through December 20th
REQUIRED MATERIALS (not included):
- A Picture Book History of the Jews by Howard and Bette Fast
- Please note: This book is out-of-print, but we are in the process of getting permission to use the book for our class. You do not need to purchase the out-of-print copy.
- All About Jewish Time by Emily Sper
- Jewish Book of Centuries published by CMP (more info coming soon)
OPTIONAL MATERIALS (not included):
For any optional projects, I will provide you with a list of all the materials recommended each week.
- Sept. 8th – Introduction to Jewish History
- Sept. 15th – Introduction to Jewish Calendar
- Sept. 22nd – Rosh Hashanah
- Sept. 29th – Yom Kippur
- Oct. 6th – Sukkot
- Oct. 13th – Introduction to Jewish Holy Books
- Oct. 20th – Shabbat / Havdalah
- Oct. 27th. – Who Are the Jews?
- Nov. 3rd – Ancient Rabbis of Babylon
- Nov. 10th – Golden Age of Spain
- Nov. 17th – Jews in America
- Dec. 1st – Chanukkah
- To be announced
Register for Jewish Cultural History today!
HOW IT WORKS: All online classes, whether Live or Recorded, offer access to the class forum where you can interact with the instructor. You will have access to the class and the instructor for the full semester. You must be a member of The Charlotte Mason Co-op to register for classes. Besides being able to register for classes, Co-op Members enjoy many other benefits including:
- Discounted prices on many CMP products
- Full access to the Private Co-op Area of the Forum
- Co-op “Gatherings” that include Mom’s Afternoon Tea, CM Study Sessions, Homeschool Planning Sessions, Book Clubs, etc.
- See the full list of benefits here
When you register for a class and/or the co-op, you will be required to take the following steps:
- Fill out a Registration Form – your account status will be pending until your Registration Form has been received and approved. Please note that, after checkout, you will receive an email from support @ cmplenary.com with the link to fill out the Registration Form.
- Read and agree to The Charlotte Mason Online Classes Handbook.
- Join the Forum – you can find the forum here: cmplenary.com/community
ONLINE CLASSES & MEMBERSHIP POLICY
Members of The Charlotte Mason Co-op will be required to fill out and submit a Registration Form and must read and agree to the rules stated within The Charlotte Mason Online Classes Handbook. All Members’ status will be pending until they are approved and admitted to the Forum and any classes. Any violation of the rules within the Handbook is grounds for removal from The Charlotte Mason Co-op, the Forum, and all classes. A Charlotte Mason Plenary LLC reserves the right to deny access to classes, the forum, and any memberships to anyone at our sole discretion. Cancellations / non-payments of your monthly Co-op Membership fee will automatically unenroll you in any classes for which you registered. No refunds will be given for co-op fees or class registration fees. No refunds will be offered for classes lost due to cancellation or non-payment of your Membership. You can view our full Refund Policy here.