America First by Lawton B. Evans is an ideal living book for Elementary American History. But because it was published in the early 1900s, some of the original language was racially insensitive.
This edition of America First has been completely UPDATED AND REVISED for modern readers.
AMERICA FIRST by Lawton Evans has always been my favorite book for elementary American History. The author has such a wonderful narrative style that always keeps students engaged. Unfortunately, the book also contains language and attitudes that are racially insensitive, as it was first published in the early 1900s. I have tried to remedy this so that parents can enjoy reading this book to their children without having to edit as they read it aloud.
AMERICA FIRST: UPDATED EDITION includes the following changes:
- Any language that described Native Americans as savages or blood-thirsty has been removed.
- The term “Indian” has been replaced with “Native American” or simply, “natives” or “people” in most instances
- The term “negro” has been replaced with “person” or “citizen,” or, when referring to enslaved peoples prior to or during the Civil War, the term “negro” has been replaced with “slave.”
- All instances of the term “master” and “marse” have been removed.
- The term “white men” has been changed to “explorers,” “English colonists,” “colonists,” or simply, “citizens” or “people,” depending on the context.
- Other updates to the book include restoring dignity to the descriptions of enslaved peoples.
- Dates have been updated.
- New illustrations have been added. Almost every chapter now has an illustration.
I hope you and your children enjoy the updated edition of AMERICA FIRST!
PRINTING ERROR NOTE: BOOKS PRINTED PRIOR TO JUNE 1, 2020 HAVE AN ERROR ON PAGE 268. TWO SENTENCES REGARDING JOHN C. CALHOUN AND HIS SUPPORT OF SLAVERY SHOULD HAVE BEEN REMOVED BUT WERE MISSED IN THE EDITING PROCESS. THE ERROR WAS IMMEDIATELY CORRECTED IN ALL FORMATS.
ALL SALES FINAL ON DIGITAL PRODUCTS | PLEASE ALLOW 2-3 WEEKS FOR SHIPPING VIA MEDIA MAIL