FIELD NOTES FRIDAY NATURE STUDY
Fall 2021 Live Class with Lari Jo Edwards
Field Notes Fridays: A one-hour guided Nature Inquiry class for all ages and experience levels! This is such a fun way to accomplish Nature Study!
Lari Jo Edwards is the Science Education Specialist here at A Charlotte Mason Plenary. She has a Bachelor of Science degree in Marine Biology from Texas A&M University and a Master of Science degree in Ecological Teaching and Learning from Lesley University. She is an expert in the Charlotte Mason method of teaching Science and Nature Study and she is a Charlotte Mason homeschooling mom! You can learn more about Lari Jo here.
- Day / Time: Thursdays 1:00-2:00 p.m. Central Time
- Number of Classes: 7
- Minimum Class Size Needed: 10
- Max Class Size: 40 (classes fill fast, so act soon!)
- Membership Needed: The Charlotte Mason Co-op
- Class Registration Fee: $85
REQUIRED MATERIALS (not included):
- Plutarch’s Life of Publicola
- Plutarch Picture Study:
- Class #1: Sept. 3 – Birds
- Class #2: Sept. 17 – Bugs
- Class #3: Oct. 1 – Weather
- Class #4: Oct. 15 – Water
- Class #5: Nov. 5 – Mammals
- Class #6: Nov. 19 – Reptiles
- Class #7: Dec. 10 – Frogs
EACH CLASS CONTAINS THREE LEARNING ELEMENTS
1. Lesson Time – Lari Jo will introduce the week’s “nature theme,” talk about what observations you will be making during your Nearby Nature Time, and help you set up a journal page to capture your discoveries.
2. Nearby Nature Time – During your Nearby Nature Time, you will go outside to discover a nature object that fits with the lesson’s theme. You will then record your observations in your nature journal based on your experience level of nature journaling (see below). Lari Jo will stay online and available in case you have any questions.
3. Sharing Discoveries Time – After 20 minutes, everyone will reconvene and share what you have discovered. Sharing (narrating) your discoveries helps to solidify your knowledge about your local environment. Hearing what others discovered expands your knowledge of other parts of the world. Making connections with each other’s discoveries deepens your knowledge of the natural world.
All experience levels are welcome! Lari Jo teaches three different levels of nature journaling based on your experience and comfort level.
THREE LEVELS OF NATURE JOURNALING
Level 1: Use of pictures and prompts such as “I Notice, I Wonder, It Reminds me of” to make observations on the page
Level 2: Includes Level 1, but we now also add words, pictures, numbers, and basic metadata to make observations on the page
Level 3: Includes everything in Level 1 and 2, with the addition of charts, graphs, maps, connections, questions, research, and more to add depth to the knowledge being gathered. This level uses a variety of observation and data collection skills.
All who participate in #FieldNotesFriday, will:
- Go outside more often
- Enjoy the outdoors more completely
- Make deeper observations
- Write more boldly and freely
- Write field notes more often
- Build a community around nature and journaling that benefits others and ourselves
Register for Field Notes Friday today!
CO-OP CLASSES / MEMBERSHIP POLICY
This is a live online class offered to members of “The Charlotte Mason Co-op Membership” Cancellations / non-payments of your monthly Membership fee will un-enroll you in any classes in which you registered for within the Membership. No refunds will be offered for classes lost due to cancellation or non-payment of your Membership. As a participant in The Charlotte Mason Co-op Membership, you will be required to read and agree to the rules stated within The Charlotte Mason Co-op Handbook. Any violation of the rules within the Handbook are grounds for removal from The Charlotte Mason Co-op and no refunds will be given for co-op fees or class registration fees.