High School Science classes taught by an ACTUAL Scientist?! Yes please!
Lari Jo Edwards is the Science Education Specialist here at A Charlotte Mason Plenary and she will be teaching THREE high school science classes at The Charlotte Mason Co-op! Yes THREE!
Lari Jo has a Bachelor of Science degree in Marine Biology from Texas A&M University and a Master of Science degree in Ecological Teaching and Learning from Lesley University. Most recently, she was the Education Coordinator at the Coastal Bend Bays & Estuaries Program in South Texas.
Now she’s teaching at The Charlotte Mason Co-op! Yay!
Here are ALL the classes Lari Jo will be offering during the Fall 2021 semester:
- High School Biology
- High School Chemistry
- High School Physics
- Middle School Science
- Field Notes Fridays
- Intro to Field Sketching
Let’s take a look at High School Chemistry!
CLASS DESCRIPTION FROM LARI JO:
Students will learn the beauty of the world by studying the smallest components of matter. This course is especially focused for students who desire a foundational knowledge of chemistry. We will cover the basics of chemistry and go more in depth next semester.
Prerequisite needed: Algebra I concurrent or completed
The Fall semester is equal to 1/2 credit. Spring semester is equal to 1/2 credit. Must enroll in Chemistry 101 (Fall semester) to be admitted to Chemistry 102 in the Spring semester. Both courses count for a complete High School Chemistry program!
- Day / Time: Tuesdays 11:00-12:00 a.m. Central Time
- Class Registration Fee: $150
REQUIRED MATERIALS (not included):
- The Joy of Chemistry by Cathy Cobb
OPTIONAL MATERIALS (not included):
- Everything You Need to Ace Chemistry in One Big Fat Notebook
- Crucibles: The Story of Chemistry by Bernard Jaffe
- Chemical History of a Candle by William Hammack
- Class #1: Sept. 7th – Atoms / Molecules, & Ions
- Class #2: Sept. 14th – Atoms / Molecules, & Ions
- Class #3: Oct. 5th – Periodic Table/ Metals / Nonmetals
- Class #4: Oct. 12th – Periodic Table / Metals / Nonmetals
- Class #5: Nov. 2nd – The Mole
- Class #6: Nov. 9th – The Mole
- Class #7: Dec. 7th – Stoichiometry
- Class #8: Dec. 14th – Stoichiometry
NOTE: Chemistry 102 will be offered in the Spring semester. Students must have taken Chemistry 101 to enroll in Chemistry 102.
Watch Lari Jo talk about her High School Chemistry class in this video:
Lari Jo Talks About Her High School Biology Class
at The Charlotte Mason Co-op